Instructions for new teachers
Handbook for Academic Affairs and ICT Office Duties
Please refer to the “Undergraduate / Graduate Schools Academic Affairs Handbook” distributed and mailed by the ”Center for Academic Affairs” for information on other than ICT Office. Alternatively, please contact the faculty / Department office in charge of acceptance.
The duties of ICT Office are as follows.
- Issuing a Sophia ICT account and providing information on how to use it and related services (email, portal, provision of Office software).
- Management of PC rooms (Classroom reservation, PC maintenance)
- Work related to network connection and VPN connection in classrooms and offices.
- Work related to Zoom and Moodle (LMS)
- Support for using equipment in classes in classrooms.
- Other general consultation regarding PC, Internet, and ICT technology.
Sophia ICT Account
The Sophia ICT Account is an account (a set of ID and password) required to use various on-campus services such as e-mail, portal, Moodle, and Microsoft 365. Please refer to the following page for details.
COM / Dual purpose room / SI room
On the Yotsuya campus, in addition to the PC classroom, there are classrooms with a notebook PC called a Dual-purpose room and a SI room. Please refer to the following page for details.
Zoom is a video call system / application that uses internet communication. To use Zoom with your Sophiamail address, you need to sign up and register yourself.
Click here for the manual on using Zoom.
Moodle is a type of LMS that allows you to post materials for each class and have students submit assignments. See below for details.
When using a computer or campus network in class
In most cases, no pre-configuration is required when using the campus network in class. Please see here for details.
If you are a full-time, please bring your own PC for the classes. For part-time, laptop PC are available for rent at Kanzai Group (Office of Property : 1st floor of Building #2). (If you want to connect to the internet from that PC, you need a Sophia ICT account). If you want to use the computer classroom in class, please check here.
For those who are assigned a private office at Yotsuya / Mejiro campus
When connecting to the campus network in a private office
The teacher’s private office has an information outlet for wired LAN, but application and settings are required in advance. Please see here for details.
Be sure to install security software on the computer connected to the campus network. ICT Office provides Trend Micro’s VirusBuster free of charge. (Click here for information on using it).
There are many requests regarding the installation of wireless LAN routers in the private office, but as a general rule, ICT Office does not set up devices in private offices. Please operate under your own management responsibility based on the following explanation.
- We recommend that you connect the router directly from the information outlet on the wall to build a private network. At that time, be sure to make appropriate security so that it will not be intercepted from the outside. Avoid WEP authentication and at least WPA2-PSK(AES) or MAC address authentication.
- Installing a router in a common room and writing and pasting the password on paper is a very dangerous act. In some cases, we may suspend the use of your Sophia ICT account, so please do not do so.
The campus network is shared by our faculty, staff, and students, so please give due consideration to security.
When installing a PC, printer, or purchasing new equipment
You are responsible for setting up your own PC and migrating data. Thank you for your cooperation.
Also, please note that it is not always possible to guarantee the same computer environment as the previous workplace / university. (Example: Certain software that was used at the predecessor university is not installed / does not work at this university)
When in trouble
If you have any other questions, please refer to the “FAQ”
The supported OS for ICT Office is Windows, Mac OS, Android, and iOS. Both are limited to versions within the support period. Please note that if you are using an OS other than the above, we may not be able to provide sufficient support.